Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Saturday migas at Fuzzy's...

Even though it was a gorgeous Saturday, I had exams to grade. I knew I wouldn't get it done at home (too many distractions!), so I trudged down to the office.

On the way, I started thinking about how to reward myself for such responsible, adult-like behavior... ...when I remembered that Red Cactus had opened just the day before! This would accomplish two things -- I'd be trying a new restaurant and presumably be getting yummy food out of the deal, and secondly, I could write about it on The Fort Worthian...

So I get a bunch of the grading done and it's been a fairly productive morning, so I start walking toward Red Cactus. When I arrive, there's a sign on the door, and they are closed for a private party.... Grrrrrrr... I ask you this: who has a grand opening on Friday and then closes for a private party on Saturday???? That's ridiculous!

Change of plan... What can I do? Oh yeah, Fuzzy's isn't too far away, so I'll walk over and have some migas there!

Fuzzy's serves migas all the time, but to me, it's especially tasty on Saturday mornings. It's not one of those power breakfast things, where you're going to have the energy needed to get things done for the rest of the day. It's more of a lazy Saturday breakfast, where you eat it and then decide a mid-morning nap would be nice... I dunno if that's really a favorable endorsement or not, but I certainly enjoy it!

So, to sum up:

  • It's stupid to be closed for a private party the day after your grand opening.
  • Migas are a yummy start to a lazy day!
  • Fuzzy's has good migas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's tough for me to venture out of my comfort zone at Fuzzy's. I'm such a huge fan of their pork sandwich that it's almost too difficult to pass up. However, I'll try the migas soon (if I can muster the courage).

As far as Red Cactus is concerned, 10 points to whoever posts the first review. Yup, 10 bright, shiny, new points. All yours.

Carla said...

I went to Red Cactus and found it mediocre all around. But I'm probably too lazy to write a real review of it, though I ordered a lot of food with the Fort Worthian in mind. So, in my opinion:

Location: good, easy money
Hours: fair, nothing on Fuzzy's
Tortillas: poor
Ingredients and balance of: Good
Ambience: fair--difficult to pin down.
Beer: $1.25 draft, but they only have Bud Light and Coors Light.
Improvements: Salsa bar needed.

In short, if you have the audacity to open a taco place in Fort Worth, let alone the TCU area, you'd better have something to set you apart and so far the Red Cactus just doesn't have it.