Friday, October 5, 2007

I hear the train a'comin'...

Another Fort Worth blog (A competitor, perhaps? Nah, we're all friends here.) is helping in the push to get F-Dub its own streetcar system. I, due to my unhealthy fascination with rapid transit, think it's a fine idea. They're calling for a street-level, overhead power streetcar system that would run on four lines around downtown, citing that we're beginning to have the population density that's necessary to warrant such a project.

Again, I'm a big fan of rapid transit, and although I'd prefer an underground or above-ground heavy-rail system (much, much faster), I know that they're too expensive for our little metropolis. I've always said that if they were to put a train down University from Granbury Road to the Stockyards and another from 820 down Camp Bowie and 7th to ITC, many of our traffic problems would be resolved. Here's the proposed map at Fort Worthology that I'll link, not post, for copyright reasons.

This is a start. Even if it doesn't go through, it gets minds churning. And it's the logical next step for a booming town. Soon, we'll have our Fort Worth-DFW connector line, and Arlington has committed to trying a commuter train for the SuperBowl. They're even working on a second rail for the TRE, which would make that trip much faster.

The answer to our transit needs lies in diversified transit options, including (better) bus service for versatile routing; highly localized transit in dense areas (streetcars or at-grade light-rail); fast mid-distance options (above- or below-grade light- and heavy-rail); high-capacity, fast long-distance options (TRE and DFW commuter lines); and super-fast, high-capacity inter-regional routes (high-speed trains, such as Amtrak's Acela, Germany's ICE or France's TGV). Portland, which is around the same size as Fort Worth, is a few steps ahead on this process.

Where's the money come from? Tax the hell out of cars and gas. Yup, I said it. It's the only way we'll ever go green.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff. I think we need a link...Done.

Anonymous said...

Just to clear something up - the map on fortworthology.com/lightrail is not the one being presented to the council. It's one I came up with on my own, to stimulate discussion. The one being presented is the one in this post.

Thanks for the link and comments!