Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Movie Tavern, you done me wrong

Well, I went to see Hot Rod at the Ridgmar Movie Tavern tonight, which used to be my favorite place to go see a movie. I was met with a few disappointments.
1) They took away the student/military discount. Now everyone pays $6. Still a reasonable price for a movie, but sad to see my $4 ticket disappear.
2) To purchase alcohol you must have a TEXAS State ID. Even a passport won't work (I tried). So, being from out of state, that sucks for me.

Then when I got into the movie, the lights came on after the previews and we could only hear the movie without picture. Then about fifteen minutes in they fixed that but the lights stayed on, and halfway through the movie when they fixed that the sound kept cutting out. Then they didn't apologize or anything. It was weird.

Still, you can see a movie for relatively cheap, drink while you watch a movie, and eat. Plus the seats are comfortable and there's lots of leg room. Plus you won't have to deal with high-maintenance 13-year-olds, who are promptly corralled by the police in the parking lot after 10 pm (Rave, anyone?). But ye be warned! The student discount is gone! And bring a Texas state ID if you want to drink.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not entirely impressed with the Movie Tavern these days. "Chuck and Larry" was mostly blurry (although they warned us ahead of time), and it seems like the entire place has gone downhill. However, I'll still go so I can avoid lines, teenagers and $9 movies at Rave.

Pete said...

If you're willing to drive a bit, the Studio Movie Grill at Arlington Highlands is pretty nice. Seating is a bit weird, and there's no "mega beer," but it's brand new, so still pretty nice.