Thursday, August 9, 2007

A ticket for stupidity

The other day, I parked facing the wrong direction on McPherson Avenue over by TCU. I do this all the time at my house, but apparently Fort Worth cops don't patrol my neighborhood (makes me feel safe). Anyway, I got a $25 ticket, which I promptly paid.

Last week, my mom called. She received a letter from the city saying I hadn't paid. Because my payment was late, I owed $35. I called the city, complained like crazy and then stopped pursuing the issue once I realized my own stupidity.

I made two mistakes:
1. I mailed cash. Do what your mother says and never send cash in the mail.
2. I mailed cash from the post office in the Fort Worth federal building, which is one block from the place to which I mailed my cash. Had I bothered to look at the envelope, I would have seen that I was within spitting distance.

The moral of the story: Never mail cash, and never mail anything when you could just walk over and hand them a check. You get the free lesson. Mine cost me $60.

No comments: