Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Modern Times: Marry Me, St. Vincent


Before I get to deep into this, I need to disclose that I have a little thing for St. Vincent. Her new disc, Marry Me is catchy, layered and easily one of the best debuts of the year. It's got something for electro-heads and guitar nuts. You know, both kinds of music fans.

Beyond her obvious talents in the studio and on the guit-fiddle, the 24-year-old Dallas native otherwise known as Annie Clark is funny, engaging and if her blog is to be believed, whip-smart.

So, when I read on Pollstar that she's going to play at The Modern Art Mueseum in Fort Worth on Oct. 19, I immediately thought, "Yes, I am going to that." I then debated whether or not to tell anyone else.

Well, now I've told you. Neither St. Vincent or the Modern have confirmed it [Since I posted this, I've been told it is on the Modern Web site, but hey, that thing is expansive!], but it's on Pollstar, and those guys are usually right on. Some videos after the jump:

I know this is supposed to be a cool concept, but playing in the back of a moving vehicle just strikes me as uncomfortable. Clark covering these Beatles:

The standard Jackson Browne cover. She has orginal stuff, too:


[Edit: This is our 100th post. We should celebrate!]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's on the Modern's website. They actually have a schedule for that evening with many other artists included. Also playing that night is Doug Burr who is also very local and very good.

Unknown said...

Just in case you still haven't found the page:

http://www.themodern.org/featured.html