Monday, July 2, 2007

At the 2500 Club

So, my friend Drue Webber calls me at the end of last week. Now, I've mentioned on here before that Drue is a good friend and a very talnted guitar player, and I actually sat down and talked to him for this weeks After Hours feature in the Star-Telegram.

Well, during that interview, Drue waxed on about this gruff singer-songwriter named Guthrie Kennard. So, when Drue called to say he was going to see Kennard play and would want to tag along, I of course said yes.

Little did I know what I was in for.

The 2500 Club is located on Belknap, just north of downtown, and let me tell you, that place can be just about scarier than the finding an Adam's apple on your new girlfriend.



It's a place where bikers, biker gangs and other rough-around-the-edges guys hang out. To be honest, though, it's fairly peaceful, but, for example, the under dressed, mildly drunk 40-year-old behind the bar sets the tone. And that tone is the same one used in People Are Strange

But, Guthrie played his set. and I have to say, it was pretty good. I tend to be more in for the colder, more clean indie rock, but the guy definitely had a lot of heart. And he could have played longer if a drunk roughneck wouldn't have come in, walked up to the microphone and started howling at the top of his lungs before trying to pay the bartender 25 cents for a beer. Things were getting weird, I made it an early night.

So, check Guthrie out and see if it's your thing.

2 comments:

Ky said...

Holy crap. A myspace link.

Anonymous said...

I'm picking up on your sarcasm here...