Monday, July 23, 2007

Shameless plug for the Queen City

I spent years 2 through 15 of my life in Cincinnati, a city that has more in common with Fort Worth than one might think. They're roughly the same size, and they both have a good amount of hole-in-the-wall charm. I guess it's the small-town atmosphere that makes F-Dub feel like my beloved city to the north.

Downtown Cincy has a district of low-incoming housing called "Over the Rhine." In the last decade, high-rollers have bought many historic properties, and attempts have been made to rehab and preserve the neighborhood. The district is full of abandoned beauty and incredible history.

It's also home to one kick-ass band.

Over the Rhine, is a duo from, you guessed it, the namesake district in the Queen City. Their rock is reminiscent of 10,000 Maniacs with its female vocal lead, but there's a stronger element of folk rock, as well as a darker edge. The lyrics are passionate and real, with no hint of corporate influence. It's a nice thing to hear in a world full pointless rock that follows a calculated formula.

As for the Texas connection, I think they played a show in Texas once. Good enough for me.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Karen's voice is amazing...

And they've played Texas several times... I've seen them 3 times in Dallas and once in Austin.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I too dig the Rhine