Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Stage Names


I first heard about Okkervil River about two-three years ago when they played SXSW. I am often totally unaware of new bands, and I don't spend too much time checking blogs for leaks. I'm usually the last to know, which is OK.

However, these guys are from Austin, and I enjoy them. I've seen them since three times. I saw them once at ACL, another time at Sons of Hermann Hall, and I also saw Will Sheff open for Jenny Lewis solo at the Ridglea.

They have yet to disappoint.

The new CD, The Stage Names is a good CD, too. I don't give just dozens of recommendations because I prefer to actually absorb and fall in love with a CD for weeks.

If you pre-order this CD, though, you get a whole host of stuff--demos from Sheff and the boys, a pre-download, and since it's an indie label, come one, you'll at least get a few stickers, too.


1 comment:

Patrick said...

I was also at the Sons of Herman Hall show, although I left with a cool new poster and no doubt in my mind that Pleasant Grove completely stole the show. The place was kind of weird too.