Thursday, May 31, 2007

There is too much mud on my shoes.


I have a little gripe with Fort Worth. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot as a city--in fact, if it were easier, I'd see more of it. But that's my gripe: it's not easy. The Fort Worth T, our public transportation system, doesn't have a very useful Sunday schedule (it only runs early in the morning and later from about 7-8ish) and used their Sunday schedule on Memorial Day, a day I had to be at work at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History. And let's not even mention the T's website, which is unnavigable garbage.

Regardless, I had to walk to work and for the second time, I was severely bothered by the fact that there are no sidewalks from I-30 until the Cultural District. It's just a muddy mess, littered here and there with dead rodents and Ozarka bottles. I could understand some areas of Fort Worth not being pedestrian-friendly (except that they should be since they encourage pedestrians and bikers alike just yards away from where the sidewalk ends at I-30). Yet here's the kicker: there are bus stops for Route 7 along the way. Just in the middle of nowhere! If Fort Worth wants to encourage the use of public transportation, they should at least make it easier to use. That's a no-brainer.

I love you, Fort Worth, and I love that I ride the T for free with my Student ID, but you could at least put in a sidewalk or two. Oh, and get a better drainage system.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually agree with you. Sidewalks aren't the insane expense they are made out to be, and they would encourage pedestrians.