Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Une voyage sans essence

Americans hate change, especially when it impacts our personal freedoms. Now that gas is higher than $3 a gallon, we've all been forced to make adjustments. Problem is, it's tough to make changes in our fair city.

I live four miles from work. Depending on traffic and the route I drive, it can take me between seven and 15 minutes to commute. The bus, however, takes me more than 30 minutes, if it's on time. As a comparison, consider that it takes me 20 minutes to ride my bike downtown.

I'd like to believe that Fort Worthians want to go green. But how can they? As long as our mass transit options are few and inefficient, we'll be stuck burning our paychecks in our gas tanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article. How are we going to "go green" in a city as spread out and difficult as Dub?

Steve said...

I rode my bike to work one time and felt like I was risking my life. I grew up riding my bike around PA and AL, and I never felt the hostility from drivers that I feel here. They will run you down for nothing here in the metroplex...

Bums me out, because I love to ride my bike, but I stick to the trails here. The roads are far too hostile.

Steve said...

Oh, and I explored the idea of taking the bus to work too... I would have to walk a mile to the first bus stop, and ride for an hour, changing buses several times. That's for a commute that takes 12-14 minutes in my car...