Saturday, June 2, 2007

Bonnell's revisited...

You know what? There are way too many great restaurants in the metroplex... Heck, there are too many great restaurants in Fort Worth! When you've got one you like, sometimes it's a difficult decision to revisit, especially when you consider all the places you haven't yet experienced.

But when out-of-town company is visiting and you need a special occasion restaurant, you've gotta go with someplace reliable. So, with that in mind, we visited Bonnell's to celebrate my parent's wedding anniversary.

Bonnell's specializes in Texas ingredients, and they feature many meats that would be difficult to find on other menus around town. That made my ordering decision easy -- I wanted to get something I couldn't get anywhere else.

I ordered the Mixed Grill, which includes a wild boar chop and anduoille sausage, plus one additional item -- I got quail. It also included some amazing cheese grits and grilled vegetables. It was all pretty tasty, but the boar chop was my least favorite item on the plate. All three meats were served with a wonderful demi-glace. The demi was also good when sprinkled on the grits. And yeah, I'm that guy, taking photos of my meals occasionally at restaurants...My dad's buffalo ribeye was tender and lean. My mom had the chicken stacked enchilada, which was nice, and my wife had some redfish that I'd been considering, but wasn't really impressed with.

In my experience, many fine dining restaurants don't seem to do a good job with dessert, but Bonnell's is an exception to that. My wife and I shared a tres leches creme brulee that was rich and creamy and freshly assembled, so it had a nice cold center and a warm crispy top of caramelized sugar... Yeah, yum...

So the moral of this story is, don't forget about the wonderful places that have been around FW for a while. Jon Bonnell may not be the most flashy of the FW chefs, but he has been consistently high quality.

No comments: