Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Turmoil of Cupcakes


I am, whether I am breaking the elastic on sweatpants or fighting against being blown away by my fan, a fat kid at heart. Food and I have carried out a torrid affair for as long as I can recall. I love fresh, over-sauced dishes arranged in ways that make me feel guilty about cutting into them. My mouth waters at sushi piled high and painstakingly assembled. I live for food that was never meant to be fried loafing about beside to a vat of ranch dressing. I’m alarmingly fond of brunch.

But our relationship is not without its turmoil, which brings me to the problem I present to you today: The Cupcake Cottage.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I adore cupcakes – it’s in my very nature to do so – but The Cupcake Cottage (http://www.thecupcakecottage.com/) stands off of Camp Bowie Boulevard mocking me as I drive by its darkened windows. Long have been the two months since I was first told of this palace, of the intoxicating scent of butter and self-rising flour drifting out of its doors. Their Web site boasts an impressive array of flavors, from cookies and cream to peanut butter cup, and even the exotic pink lemonade. Standard cupcakes are $2.25 each, which I am certainly happy to spend on the occasional mid-afternoon indulgence. In fact, often have been the times that I have set forth from my home with the hopes of finding myself in the presence of a baked masterpiece.

And this is where my love of food, this imagined romance with an iced treasure, turns sour. The Cupcake Cottage is open five days a week, Tuesday through Saturday, from 10:00am “until the last cupcake is sold!” I’m not a fan of exclamation points in general, feeling that most people should be limited to perhaps a dozen or so in their lifetime, or at least one, properly used, a month, but I stress to you that the punctuation at the end of this phrase is necessary: there is a sense of urgency that one must have when seeking to enter this cozy establishment before their doors close.

My first trip to The Cottage was, admittedly, a foolish one, as I did not realize that they were closed on Mondays and should have done my research beforehand. My second excursion revealed a sign saying “Sorry! The last cupcake has been sold!” This was close to three in the afternoon on a Saturday, which, in retrospect, was probably underestimating the public’s demand for cupcakes. But the last time I made the short trek to Camp Bowie it was scarcely after 1:00pm, and The Cupcake Cottage was once again a cloud on an otherwise sunny street. I love cupcakes, but I also love my sleep. With a full-time internship during the week, Saturday is really my only option when it comes to The Cupcake Cottage, but it is also my much-anticipated day of staying in bed until the afternoon sun forces me out. Are people really ravaging a day’s supply of baked goods in less than three hours? Is there a line at 10:00 am stretching down the length of Camp Bowie, back to the Enchanted Florist, full of citizens clamoring for a Mint Chocolate Chip delight?

The Cupcake Cottage bakers are currently on vacation, and will return to the operation a week from today. I tell myself that the following Friday is when I will stay in for the night, will turn off my phone, and then wake to my alarm the next morning, make myself presentable, and finally give myself over to the pleasure of buttercream icing.

But I’m not going to hold my breath.

I hope others have had more luck with The Cupcake Cottage than I have. If so, do let me know what I am missing out on; if it is worth my anxiety. And if you’ve never heard of the establishment, click on over to their Web site (which is newly redesigned, quelling my suspicion that they may have secretly gone out of business) and take a look around. Because, if you’re anything at all like me, this quaint, seemingly heart-warming little dessert shop will come to haunt your thoughts. The Cupcake Cottage is located at: 5015 El Campo Avenue (at Camp Bowie Boulevard) Fort Worth, Texas 76107

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never been to said cupcake place. It scares me though. Where sugar is, happiness follows, and therein lies the problem...

Carla said...

damn that cottage. Damn it to hell. Why can't they just . . . make more cupcakes?

Kristen said...

I've been there three times and have never had any luck! One of these days...

Steve said...

I realize this is approaching blasphemy on The Fort Worthian, but during the Cottage vacation, I would suggest a pilgrimage to the Dallas outpost of Sprinkles cupcakes...

The Black & White is amazing, and the Red Velvet is very nice as well.

http://www.sprinklescupcakes.com/

Darren will now banish me for suggesting a Dallas place... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Steve, you're not banished. Because, well, I tried clicking my "banish" button, and the box was faded like it couldn't be clicked.

But I am sensing an "evil eye" cupcake edition...

Steve said...

You couldn't click it because of my 133t hackerz skillz... :-P

Sandra said...

Someone recently sent this post to me.
I sure hope you’ve not given up on a cupcake from The Cupcake Cottage. I assure you it was never our goal to turn our cupcakes into tiny quests! While you're busy sleeping-in I am busy baking and my husband follows in to frost our little treasures so they're ready at 10:00a.m. We are kicking out hundreds of these sweet treats each day!

You may have missed us due to our business goal which is a little different from most in that we ‘break for life’. Visit our website and Click on Taking Breaks for details: www.thecupcakecottage.com

Like Steve, we also encourage customers to trek over to Dallas for the Sprinkles experience, not to mention the increased volume of baking compared to our wee kitchen. What we didn't anticipate is having Dallas customers find their way to us, but we get them all the time! We've even had couriers sent to pick up as many as 12 dozen to be delivered to a large firm in Dallas!

If you've not been in yet, be sure to try again or call us, 817-732-5670. We hold cupcakes for late-coming customers all the time! You are even welcome to call a day or two ahead so you don’t interrupt your morning slumber! ;)

We deeply appreciate the patience and perseverance of each customer that finally finds us open and NOT sold out! They have caught on that we're serious about calling and having us hold cupcakes! (and) Many make that extra effort to get to our shop early…
Fort Worthians are quick learners and a smart lot!! We love ‘em!!

sandi =)