Sunday, June 17, 2007

Pianos and free parking

My best friend's 22nd birthday was yesterday, so per his request a bunch of us headed downtown to Pete's Dueling Piano Bar to celebrate. Now although I've been old enough to get in for a few years now, I'd never made it down to Pete's. It was awesome, but that's not why I'm writing this post.

As we were headed over, one of my friends tossed out the suggestion that we should eat and hang out downtown more. I guess I'd never really thought about it since I entered the Real World. Downtown is my working space, so often I don't want to go back at night. But I was reminded last night how sad that is.

The City of Fort Worth, along with the Bass family, has done a great job with our downtown. Parking is free after 6 p.m. and cheap enough before then. There are cops on every corner, so you always feel safe. We have street performers, two movie theaters, Bass Hall and countless restaurants and bars, and if you're up for an argument, you can run by Third Street to hear about why you're going to hell for watching "Harry Potter" films

The whole experience made me question why I use so much gas to drive to University Village or Hulen for dinner, Ridgmar for a movie (for $9) and Bryant Irvin or Eighth Avenue for a post-movie drink.

And one last thing: Those of you who miss Black Dog Tavern will be pleased to know that the owners are trying again, again, on Seventh Street, right next to Liberty Electric Tattooing. Go there and help keep the Dallas yuppies out of Cowtown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love downtown, and I love the Black Dog folks are coming back. I do feel things starting to pretty trendy and lame around here, but hey even Austin has the Warehouse District.